Martin - 2005-08-03 08:07:47
Get the belt fixed before your wife and kid get stranded in the summer heat again. Polack.
Michelle - 2005-08-03 08:08:26
Try Open Office - it should be able to open everything you need it to.
Dave - 2005-08-03 08:43:37
UB, export the WKS file to DIF format, then import it using Excel. That sould take care of your problem. Well, the file data problem, at least.
wickedfun - 2005-08-03 08:45:11
Ummm, Uncle Bob? Like...what is wrong with opening them WITH Excel?? My version of Excel (2002(10.6501)) and the 2 or 3 versions before it give you the option of "opening files of type" and you can select *.wk or *.wks files to open. Am I missing something here in what you are trying to do perhaps?
Blue Meany - 2005-08-03 08:48:22
OH, okay, wanna talk about belts? My car was given BACK to me from the shop WITHOUT an alternator belt, and my husband didn't notice. And I had no idea till it broke down on the busiest road in town AT RUSH HOUR, and some guy who pulled over to help me looked at me like I had balls and said, "Um, there's no alternator belt." I say, fuck a car. Get a Segway. Oh, and fuck technology, too -- way too confusing. There's my piece.
Andy - 2005-08-03 09:05:13
If you think the value of your smashed up mini van was greater than $2300, call the insuance company. If you can reasoanble show that your car was worth more, they will adjust your settlement accordingly. They should be paying you enough money for you to go out and buy another 10 year old minivan, not a new one.

Oh, and here ya go you Polack:

You're welcome.
IV:XX - 2005-08-03 09:19:06
And the best thing about dickering over the settlement is that you get to keep the rental car until you come to some reasonable agreement. Of course, this stall tactic is only good for a week, at the outside.
Andy - 2005-08-03 09:29:56
IV:xx is right, you can dicker over the settlement amount. Your insurance company that you pay for should be representing you. The other guys insurance company is paying for it, so since it's not comming out of your company's pocket they may be willing to fight for you. Hey, a 15 minute phone call may get you another $1000.00.

Edmunds however shows a 10 year old dodge intrepid in alafuckingbama is worth $2600. So thay may be all you get.

I'd still bitch, they may toss ya a little bit more just to shut you up, Polack.
Stevie - 2005-08-03 09:45:09
Bob, you should talk to your insurance company and tell them to dicker with the other guy's insurance company for more money. When you do, use the S word. You know, "sue". Tell them you're getting a lawyer to sue the other driver, because Susie's all emotionally distressed and the doctor says your four year old child is traumatized. Both insurance companies want to avoid a suit, because even if you sue and lose, it will cost both of them money. They'll both have to produce records, and their adjustor stooges will have to testify in court on company time, and the other company will have to pay for the kid's lawyer. So they both want to avoid this. Ideally what you want is for YOUR insurance company to tell HIS insurance company that for another couple of grand, you'll shut up and go away. You don't have to actually get a lawyer, and you don't actually have to sue. Just make some noise like it's on the agenda, and see what it gets you. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Ya stupid Mick. (I'm an equal opportunity bigot.)
The Boy - 2005-08-03 10:10:40
Tenth... if you polack bishes can count that high... it's the second pinkie counting on your fingers!! the other posts regarding Excel should work, so I won't dork out on you. and I think you should run a Polack Special on fridays at the shop.... it would go over GREAT!
The Bitch - 2005-08-03 10:44:20
The Boy, you are lame.
It was their fault - 2005-08-03 11:24:56
I was in a car accident and as my car was also 10 years old I didnt get diddly however I did go to the hospital and "got checked out" and got a check for pain and suffering for 5 grand, my check for my totaled car was only 1250.00 people always always always got to the hospital, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jadeblue - 2005-08-03 11:27:24
You can download an evaluation version of this software... It converts pretty well I hear.
elayne - 2005-08-03 12:56:47
All y'all who are all "his insurance company is paying for it anyway, tell your insurance company to talk to his insurance company" - did you not READ the entry that said that the at-fault driver had allowed his insurance policy to lapse, and therefore is actually an uninsured motorist? His insurance company isn't paying for jack shit because he wasn't covered at the time of the accident. And while suing him personally might be an option, you can't get blood from a turnip - I believe UB mentioned THAT in the same post in which he outlined the lack of insurance coverage.
Jamie - 2005-08-03 13:03:59
Heres a plan: He kills your car, you TAKE his car. Sounds good, no?
Barb - 2005-08-03 13:36:50
Dear UB, I am a PC Princess. Yup. Get paid to do this stuff. Anyways, if you can't figure out how to do it, send me an email, and I will do it for you. Why, cos you're a nice guy.
Nance - 2005-08-03 13:47:58
Okay, I AM a Polack, so alla youse just shaddup!
blue - 2005-08-03 13:59:11
From Excel help: Excel 2000 or later versions cannot directly open files created in Microsoft Works version 3.0 or later. To open a Works file in Excel, first open it in Works and use the Save As command to convert it to one of the file formats listed below. Then close the Works file and open the converted version in Excel. Works for Windows 2.0/Works for DOS SS Excel SS Lotus 1-2-3 To open a Microsoft Works database file in Excel, first save the file in Microsoft Works as a dBASE file, and then open the dBASE file in Excel.
Onyx - 2005-08-03 14:06:43
F'in Bill Gates, man! I love former suggestion, if the other driver's car has incurred less damage, you take THEIR car and have the insurance company pay to fix it. Sounds good to me. Unless of course, they have an old Ford Pinto then screw that!
Squeakzilla - 2005-08-03 14:14:25
I've been away. I haven't read the postings I've missed. Gah, I'm lazy, OK? What about UM (Uninsured Motorist Coverage). Your insurance pays you then recovers in any way possible from him. Blue's explanation on conversion is the most complete and straight forward. You shouldn't need ANY 3rd party software to accomplish the conversion. IMHO
The Boy - 2005-08-03 14:16:58
I love The Bitch... and Nance too (especially Nance) don't leave a hate-stain on my face when you slap me, I was trying to bring teh funney. UB's just pissed that I got to the joke first....
Andy - 2005-08-03 14:23:15
Polack here too. Needed therapy after the great "Archie Bunker" era of the early 1970s. Ah those were the days where the most popular tv show on the networks would openly and freely bash an ethnic group.

Archie picked on the jews, blacks, hispancis...everyone but espicsally the polacks .His son in law on the show was polish (rob reiner) Funnesiest episode? Eidth gets raped.
Fuzzy Grey - 2005-08-03 15:53:17
Is your mechanic an HMO?
DanjerusKurves - 2005-08-03 18:34:13
You can't go wrong with a used Toyota... go for either a Camry or a Corolla. You'll get the factory warranty plus the vehicle will still be super reliable. Trust me on this. Damn.... I didn't put a single funny thing in there. :(
hispanciinthepanci - 2005-08-03 18:50:57
andy, thank you for your heartfelt post - which ironically proves some sterotypes are true...
wise ass bitch - 2005-08-03 20:38:44
UB, don't make us have to think about computer pollock! lol... just hope you don't have State Farm...they'll drop yer arse like a whore w/ crabs...:(
danelle - 2005-08-04 05:03:10
Bob, you've got to pursue more money - at least whine a little. You're bound to get something. If you tell them you are considering hiring an attorney, that will probably be enough. I will call them and pretend that you have retained me and that it's time to "talk some numbers, yo." (Well, I might leave off the yo part.) Shopping for cars: cars, I can totally see you in a Matrix. And as for your excel dealio, if you haven't talked to John W at well then I don't know what to tell you. He's the world's foremost excel expert and a really nice dude.
Megan - 2005-08-04 20:41:14
Actually, most people from Poland still get offended when you say Pollock. My friend's husband is Polish. Word of advice: they still dont think Pollock jokes are funny... :(

add your comment:

your name:
your email:
your url:

back to the entry - Diaryland